Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Welcome Andre, Gelo & Sarah - 3 New Volunteers

Andre

Hi everyone. I've recently taken on the job as a coordinator for Newcomers group and am really enjoying it so far!

I am a part time student at Weltec studying towards a Bachelor of Counselling, so coordinating this group feeds my interest of therapeutic work in a group setting, making this a great learning opportunity. Being part of this group also has allowed me to meet and connect to the gay community here in Wellington which is really great as well!

From Christchurch originally, I've been in Wellington for 4 years now. I'm really enjoying my lifestyle here in this still-new city. Recently my boyfriend and I bought our first home together, so life is exciting, rich, and full at the moment.

The Newcomers group is really proving to be a supportive and enjoyable place for the participants to explore what 'coming out' is all about, for themselves and for others in the group.

If you are interested about the Newcomers group, find out more by clicking on the link to the group on the left side on the Gay Wellington homepage, and to make contact, either email: newcomers@gaywellington.org or phone Gay Helpline: (04) 473 7878

See you around Wellington.

Gelo
 
Mabuhay! I’m Gelo Camaya from Manila, Philippines. I’ve been in New Zealand for 6 months now and looking for LGBT groups where I can partake in. I was very glad that WGWG was the first link that I stumbled on when I Googled it. I am working as a Test Analyst in one of the leading IT companies in the world.
 
At a very young age, I was already exposed to various discrimination issues against LGBTs in my community. With these happening, I have decided to be involved in the LGBT community in the Philippines. Some groups that I have worked with are: Ladlad Partylist (The National LGBT Political Organization), OneBacardi (Gay Youth Organization), Task Force Pride Philippines (Organizing committee of the annual Manila LGBT Pride March) and Youth Voices Count (MSM and TG youth group in South East Asia and the Pacific). Aside from being an LGBT advocate, I also do volunteer work for HIV/AIDS awareness and causes.
 
Being involved in WGWG is a new opportunity for me to continue working for my passion. This is also a great venue for me to learn and experience new LGBT situations, and share stories of struggles and successes of LGBTs in the Philippines and some countries in South East Asia.
 
During my free time, if I have any, I enjoy hanging out with my friends, playing board games, watching movies, travelling to new places and splurging in shopping.
 
I’m looking forward to a memorable and a fabulous time with WGWG.

Sarah
 
Hi all. I'm Sarah. I joined WGWG earlier this year after coming along as a guest speaker one night to talk about the union movement. At the meeting I thought, “These people are cool and very inclusive and they want to make a positive difference in our community. Where do I sign up?”
 
I shifted to Wellington in February 2011, originally from Auckland. I was a member of OUTline there and attended a training course with Stu and Jo a few years ago. I love living in Wellington my new home and in my downtime I enjoy exploring the many little villages and beautiful walks.
 
I see life as a big adventure. I have worked in many different jobs and lost count of the number of different places I have lived. One of my friends called me ‘the wandering Jew’ as I am often on the move.
 
I see myself as Queer Femme and proud. I feel very lucky in having friends and partners who have a variety of different genders and identities. These relationships have enriched my life and my perspectives.
 
Workwise, I originally trained as a video-editor, worked in television (Hunter S Thompson was right about the media, it is a long shallow trench where good men (sic) die like dogs!) played music and made a short dance film - a collaboration with a choreographer. I changed direction in my 30s and returned to study so that I could focus on two of my big passions, environmental sustainability and community development. Since then I have worked in local government and the community sector in various roles.
 
I have three nephews who are my little stars and I love them to the moon and back and some.
 
When I get a chance I enjoy travel - to anywhere! My favourite trip was to Mexico and Cuba. I have been a big fan of Cuban Salsa and Spanish ever since, and am forever trying to learn both. I also love writing and films of any kind so if anyone wants to be part of a writers group or film-buffs club or especially if you are a lead on the dance floor, let me know!